Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Biking Glenwood Canyon

The Glenwood Canyon Trail travels about 14 miles east from Glenwood Springs through magnificent Glenwood Canyon. The trail travels alongside the Colorado River and I-70.

This is one of my favorite of the 248+ USA trails I've biked, so I stopped here briefly today to bike about 20 miles as I passed through the canyon on my way to visit the Reevers in Cedaredge, Colorado. Fortunately, luck was with me as I was able to complete the ride between rain storms.




This segment of I-70 received the 1993 "Civil Engineering Achievement" Award. Its planning, design, and construction required 22 years, $500 million dollars. An amazing tribute came from an adversary/conservationist who acknowledged after its completion that it was "A prototype for future highways in environmentally sensitive terrain."




This Interstate does not conquer the canyon, it blends into the canyon. For more photos of this lower section of the trail, see my post from last year.

No comments: