Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Millennium Trail biking

It was a beautiful, sunny 73 degree day -- the first in the 70s since the middle of last October -- so we braved the 30+ mph wind and pushed our way for 10 miles on the Millennium Trail, which we haven't biked in 5 months. It was a pleasure to be back on this trail which I sort of consider as "my trail" since I ride out my garage door right onto it. They have installed rest benches every half mile, the fruits of a Boy Scout Eagle project, and they have also updated the trail maps on the sign posts as seen in this photo (click to enlarge):


The trail is dry despite all the snow melt and rain, though all the wetlands along the trail are now ponds and lakes. Here's Ellen as we pass one in the vicinity of the former Wauconda Apple Orchard, and for the first time...


... the resident swans were near the shore, so I worked my way through the underbrush to get a few pictures of them in all their regal glory.



No comments: