Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Unlocked and Back in Business

This has been a long, frustrating slog through frustration. Now -- should I return to Blogger with new posts? Or continue using my new WordPress blog?

Readers, please respond with your vote in the comment section below. Which version of my blog do you prefer -- Blogger or WordPress?

Here's the history of this Blogger.com ordeal:

On August 5th, I was locked out of my blog. Like thousands of others, it had been erroneously marked as a “possible spam blog” by automated Blogger “robots.” I followed the link to prove I was a real person and requested Google (which owns Blogger) to have a human verify my blog wasn’t spam and unlock it. After about 4 days, Google issued a sincere and lengthy apology to us all and unlocked all the suspected spam blogs - a wise public relations move. We were happy again.

Unfortunately, they then re-locked thousands(or perhaps tens of thousands?) of the same blogs and the ordeal resumed. Google is a mega-corporation. This free Blogger service, like their many other free offerings, are wonderful services, but they are also public relations tools for Google. But this fiasco has been a disaster to their image. They provide NO phone number for support. They provide NO email access for support. The only recourse for those of us affected is via forums where I (and many others) have posted pleas for help from some Google employee, all to no avail for three weeks (for me.)

I did learn from another “victim” that WordPress offered an identical free blog service, and that they provided an import tool which allowed me to transfer my posts from Blogger, thus recreating my entire blog on WordPress -- nearly 600 posts, 2000 photos, and hundreds of comments from visitors -- which I successfully did.

And I sat and waited. For 3 weeks I waited. Four times I appealed for help by leaving messages on the help forums. Finally, just now, I tried accessing my blog and discovered it was unlocked. (But I was not notified by email it had been unlocked, as had been indicated I would be. If I hadn’t checked my blog, I wouldn’t even know.)

Hallelujah, and thank you Blogger.

1 comment:

Goldenrod said...

Ellen already knows how I feel about WordPress. If I were ever forced to use an alternative, I guess I would have to select THAT one! Can't even beGIN to tell you how glad I am that you're back!!