Friday, March 20, 2009

Johnny Ray Watson

I've previously related my love for bass singers, and I’ve had the pleasure of hearing Johnny Ray Watson sing at our church, The Village Church of Barrington, three or four times. Each performance was a blend of marvelous music from his rich, smooth, resonant, booming bass voice interspersed with his homespun stories of his family and life -- ultimately all wrapped around testimony of his love of God and how it developed.



He recounted hanging out in his high school hallway with friends (in hometown Lorenzo, Texas) when the music teacher walked by, heard him conversing, and in a resolute, firm voice herself intoned, “Report to me after school in the music room.” That changed his life, which had been dominated by basketball. You see, Johnny is 6’ 7” tall, was a star on his team, later was the leading scorer on his McMurry College (Abilene) team, and was named most valuable player in 1971. He had his heart set on a pro-basketball career, but God had other plans for him, because a leg injury ended his playing days.

After college, he headed for Dayton, Ohio, to seek his fortune singing in night clubs. But in the year away, he says, “I went against every teaching of the Gospel. I was so stupid. I ended up coming home dejected and my spirit broken.'' After his disastrous foray into drugs and other worldly pleasures, he came again under the influence of his church-going, singing, praying family, and that family and church rescued him. He openly credits, ''My dad left me a legacy; he showed me how to live and taught me how to die.”

For the past 35 years, Johnny Ray Watson has been the featured artist by some of America’s great ministries, including three years with the Billy Graham Crusades (“And that is like no other experience” he says), numerous events with Moody Bible Institute in Chicago, the America for Jesus Rallies, the Professional Athletes Outreach, and numerous churches and small organizations. His itinerary has included appearances in Asia, Europe, South Africa, the Middle East, and the Caribbean.

But his heart really goes out to one of the oldest prison ministries in the country, which leads to another of his stories: his numerous visits to prison to see his son. As a result, for more than 20 years, Johnny has worked with one of the oldest prison ministries in the country, Bill Glass Prison Ministries. Alongside professional athletes and other performers, he visited hundreds of prisons across the country and connected with thousands of prisoners. He also served as the Co-Chair of The Turner Foundation's Commission for Hope, a Commission specifically geared toward serving young people, those in the inner cities, and those in prison.



Another highlight was in his own Texas, seen in the AP photo below...



... with Johnny Ray Watson, left, leading relatives and friends of the late Lyndon Baines Johnson in singing a chorus of "Battle Hymn of The Republic," during ceremonies to commemorate the 100th birthday of former president Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2008, at the family cemetery on the LBJ Ranch, located near Stonewall, Texas. Lynda Johnson Robb, in the blue and white dress, wearing a hat, holds hands with her sister, Luci Baines Johnson. To the right is Ian Turpin, Luci's husband; Catherine Robb, and her father Chuck Robb, Lynda's husband; and Nicole Covert, Luci's daughter, far right.

Below is a YouTube clip -- not very good video or audio quality -- but it gives a taste of this wonderful gospel singer's talent.



Last time he appeared at my church, he hobbled up to the podium with a cane and sat for the performance. About 13 months before, he tore his Achilles tendon in an accident caused by ''A 19-year-old brain in a 50-year-old body.” Because of his diabetes, the injury has been slow to heal and for a while they thought he was going to lose the foot. He spoke of his 5 surgeries in 5 years and added, “I have some trouble with the effects of my diabetes. I can keep it under control if I watch my diet…but I like to eat.” He also relates, ''I had the same throat surgery that Julie Andrews had. There was a six percent chance I'd sing again. For three months, I couldn't speak. The waiting was the most agonizing time, but it brought me closest to my faith and trust in God.''

Johnny currently lives in Bastrop, Texas with his wife, Brinda Kay and family, and is artist-in-residence at Riverbend Church in Austin. I hope he returns to my church for more performances.

No comments: