Thursday, August 18, 2011

Hiking Yellowstone National Park

I've visited Yellowstone eight or more times, and though I only had 48 hours to spend in the park this trip, I tried to make the most of it. I drove the entire 152 mile Grand Loop circle, stopping at a few old favorites and hiking three trails new to me.

One of my favorites is the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River. Here's the majestic Upper Falls from a distance...



...and here's a new way to the bottom of the Lower Falls falls for me, via Uncle Tom's Trail. Back in 1900, Uncle Tom Richardson led visitors down his trail to the bottom of the falls by way of 528 stairs and various rope ladders, which had to be an amazing adventure. Now a series of switchback trails and then 328 steel stairs get visitors 3/4 of the way down, still a strenuous undertaking but far safer.



And here's the view your efforts earn you...



...including this marvelous rainbow in the mist of the falls...






Another new hike for me was to Natural Bridge, with the trailhead conveniently located right by my campground at Bay Bridge Campground. I've seen such formations in other parks, and I love the arches at Arches National Park, but I never realized Yellowstone had its very own natural bridge. It was discovered in 1871 by the Hayden survey party and a trail was built to it for visitors way back in 1881.

I also didn't realize that natural bridges are mainly created by the action of water, while arches are created by the action of wind-driven soils.

Natural Bridge is 29 feet across and 51 feet high.






My third new trail this trip was the beginning 2+ miles of the Specimen Ridge Trail which is mainly used by backpackers. Once up on this high ridge, you are rewarded with magnificent views of the Yellowstone River 200 feet below as seen in these 2 photos...




Finally, I had to visit Old Faithful and watch her erupt, after I enjoyed the wonderful prime rib supper buffet at the Old Faithful Inn...






No comments: