Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Biking Ft. Collins, Colorado's Spring Creek Trail


The Spring Creek Trail travels seven miles through Ft. Collins on a paved, flat  surface, with tunnels under many of the larger roads. I was passing through town on my way to Rocky Mountain National Park, and I began my ride at Edora Community Park's disc golf range because it was easy to find off the interstate. I headed east and quickly reached its end point at the Poudre River Trail at the Cattail Chorus Natural Area. Since I'd biked part of that trail my last time in Colorado a few years back, I turned around, went back to the parking lot and then kept going west on the Spring Creek Trail for another six miles or so. Mile markers are placed every quarter mile.





Here's a map of the Ft. Collins trail system -- sorry for the poor quality of the photo due to the sun. Spring Creek Trail runs from the Powder River Trail west to West Drake Road/ Spring Canyon Community Park and the Pineridge Natural Area.





The trail had a lot of spur trails and a couple times I had to turn around and get back on the main trail, but it was pretty heavily traveled that Sunday and I discovered I could just follow the flow of traffic and stay on course. The creek had lots of lovely scenery...




...and even a small dam with lots of wildflowers on the banks...




...and a few housing areas...




...and even a few small ranch-type areas, so the scenery kept changing.




Many of the roads had underpasses...













No comments: