Thursday, August 19, 2010

Deer Galore

I've been seeing deer all over the place, no matter which forest preserve bike trail I've been on. Here I am on the Millennium Trail...



...where I came upon these youngsters browsing the grass and completely undisturbed by my presence...



The trail around Independence Grove also had a pair of very young fawns who were undaunted by passing bikes, walkers, and vehicles...



As I biked the Des Plaines River Trail with Dave and Patti, we passed this deer, and even though we stopped briefly to enjoy her presence, she didn't dart off, just watching us and returning to her browsing...




These very young fawns were right on the loop trail that branches from the Fort Hill Trail within the former Four Winds Golf Club grounds, in the vicinity of the southern bridge over the water channel. We watched each other for five minutes before another biker started them and they took off.



Perhaps I'm spotting so many deer due to my increased mileage. I just passed 2000 biking miles for the year, the earliest I've ever hit the mark, and I'm on pace for a personal record mileage mark. I also have had more flats this year than ever before (three so far) -- probably because (as I just noticed) my tires are worn down so much they match my bald head. New tires are on order and should be installed within a few days in preparation for my six week trip out west.

No comments: