Friday, August 13, 2010

Deer in Lakewood Forest Preseve

As I biked 20 miles on the Millennium and Ft. Hill Trails through Lakewood and Singing Hills Forest Preserves today, I spotted this deer about 50 feet off the trail. She must have been as curious about me as I was of her, because as we stared at each other, every 30 seconds or so she took a couple of steps toward me, then stared some more. This continued for 5 minutes or so until she was startled by something...



...and bounded away...



A mile later as I biked the loop trail (old golf course cart path) in the former Four Winds Golf Club, I came upon these two youngsters who also were curious about me. They also intently studied me for several minutes, and the one on the left took a few deep breaths as if trying to get my scent. (Perhaps she did get a whiff since I was 16 miles into the ride and it was 86 degrees already!)


The only way the ride could have been better would have been another muskrat sighting in the pond. Fun day in the forest preserve!

No comments: