Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Volo Bog with my StickPic

I've been solo hiking and backpacking for 20+ years which has garnered me countless awesome photos of magnificent locales, but I've always been there by inference since there's been no photographic evidence of my being there.  That's now changing thanks to Rod and David, the inventors of The StickPic, a tiny, light device that attaches your still or movie camera to your hiking pole, allowing you to take photos and movies of yourself as you hike.

 Here's a closeup of the StickPic on my camera.  They make a number of different models to fit the variety of hiking poles available.  As you see, it simply screws into the camera's tripod socket...


 ... and then the tip of your hiking pole is wedged into the white round opening of the StickPic.  In places where you are concerned about losing your camera, simply attach its strap to the hiking pole.



Just make certain you know how to put your camera into timer mode.  The  StickPic "learning curve" is very short.  In fact, my second attempt at a photo and all photos since have been spot on, and the videos are also pretty easy.  Of course the first and last few seconds of video filming will be of you reaching for the camera, so those few seconds should be cut from your video.

Check out this video I made as I hiked through the snow of Volo Bog today...





The gadget weights a mere 10.8 grams (about the same as 3 1/2 Saltine crackers) and takes about ten seconds to attach to your camera.  And it's not exactly a big ticket item, either -- only $11.99 and they ship it USPS immediately for an extra $1.61. Here's the contact info (and no, I'm not connected to them in any way except as a satisfied customer)

TheStickPic.com
114 Arleta Ave
San Francisco, California
USA 94134

(415) 350 5282

http://www.thestickpic.co

1 comment:

Hearing Aids said...

It was very nice blog and got lots of information .Thanks