Monday, September 26, 2011

Biking Arizona's Grand Canal Trail

The Grand Canal Linear Park is a partnership between the cities of Glendale and Phoenix and the Flood Control District of Maricopa County. The Grand Canal Trail is advertised as 23 miles in length and being partially paved and partially dirt. I began at West Regional Park in Glendale and biked both directions through the lovely and well-landscaped Grand Canal Linear Park and stopped where the pavement ended, not realizing it continued along the canal on the dirt dike, and I had biked about 11 miles round trip. (Phoenix's website says you can ride the trail from 75th and Camelback to Papago Park.)




The trail has access trails to all neighborhoods it passes and was getting quite a bit of use the day I biked it.



The western terminus is at Loop Highway 101 by the University of Phoenix Stadium.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can I use your photo of the Grand Canal for a nonprofit documentary on Van Buren, to show how tree coverage was reduced along the Grand Canal? Email me at kmpears1@asu.edu. I am an ASU student and would credit you.