Saturday, September 3, 2011

Biking Renton's Cedar River Trail

Renton, Washington, is a suburb just south of Seattle. I entered town and saw signs to the downtown, which I followed because the information said the trail began at the downtown. As I passed the Boeing plant, I saw a parking lot with a sign that said "Cedar River Trail" so I parked, got my bike out, and began biking. I immediately saw a sign saying "No bikes" which greatly surprised me since I believed I was on a bike trail. Pavement markers indicated I was to ride on the road along the Boeing fence line, which I did, and everything soon ended as reached Lake Washington. So I went back to my car and biked the trail the other direction, and an underpass led to this lovely area...



...which soon directed bikes off it (again, pedestrians only).  I explored along the river on both sides, riding roads and park sidewalks, and after passing the library, I came to a road (Houser Way) and saw a sign directing cars to Cedar River Park and Trail. I biked down that road (Cedar River Park Way) and found this curving bridge, and took it over the river and under I-405...




...and finally began biking the Cedar River Trail.  To the right, the trail went a hundred yards and ended at the downtown, as advertised. To the left, the trail ran through a park and soon was along Highway 169, which the trail follows, paved, until you reach the connection to the "Green to Cedar River Trail," after which the trail turns to gravel. For much of the trail, you are right along the highway, though a section puts you a bit below it as seen here...




...making for a more peaceful ride. Also for a bit you are higher than the road. Occasional glimpses of the river enhance the ride. 

The trail runs 17 miles, the first 12 of which are paved.  Three old railroad trestles are crossed, reminders of the original use of this corridor...



Official King County webpage

No comments: