Friday, March 23, 2012

Biking Jekyll Island

For the fourth time, I stopped at Jekyll Island, paid the $5 fee to drive the causeway and enter their fair island/city (they call it a parking fee), and I spent a couple hours biking the island.  They are making good use of all the fees collected, turning the old seashore area that for decades had been vacant after once being the site of the golf course, into this lovely Great Dunes Park that features their new 128,000 square foot Convention Center.  Though new, the landscaping is very attractive and as it grows will be even better...



My favorite section to bike is the southern end with its dense maritime forest and winding trails.  I love how they devote much land to nature (just like Sanibel Island, FL, Nantucket Island, MA, as well as other places.)  The gator I saw sunning itself last year was in the same place again, mere feet from the trail, so I again snapped his photo. When I passed by again an hour later, he was swimming...



The northern end of the island also has nice forested area as you approach the park and fishing pier...


...and the loop trail from the pier area has a turnoff near the main road where you can observe these petrified-looking trees...



No comments: