Friday, March 9, 2012

Mountain Biking in Ocala National Forest

Our biking Road Scholar program ended this morning and I drove to my favorite mountain biking venue, Ocala, Florida's Santos Trailhead.  This is about my tenth time here so it's obvious this is my favorite biking venue of the nearly 160+ trails I've biked across the country over the years. With many dozens of miles of trails, all marked as to difficulty, and all twisting and turning through the lovely Ocala National Forest, this area is unsurpassed in mountain biking offerings in my opinion. The mid-80s temperature fell to the low 70s as I got caught in a medium rain storm, but I still biked about an hour, getting drenched and a bit muddy, but happy nonetheless.  After 90 miles of road biking the last 4 days in from Naples to Ft. Myers, and then on to Sanibel, and Captiva Islands, it was a joy to bike single track trails in the woods again instead of negotiating and dodging auto traffic.  Here's an example of the trail before the rain began...



...and there are slight inclines even though it's Florida...




The 3 day Fat Tire Festival was beginning and the large parking lot was crowded, but with dozens of miles of trails, I only encountered oncoming bike traffic about 5 times.  Here's an example of some of the tight fits you bike on the trail...




 For more info on this area, see my webpage.

No comments: