Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Biking Arizona's Ghost of the Coyote Mountain Bike Trail

The Ghost of the Coyote Mountain Bike Trail (#641) offers 15 miles of trail through lovely pinon pine and juniper forest and is located by driving about eight miles west of Show Low on Highway 260 and turning right onto Burton Road. The trailhead is a mile north just past the second cattle guard and has a large parking area.





The main loop is well marked with white diamond markers on trees. There are some areas of loose sand but far more areas with large, loose rocks, especially on the inclines. Much of the trail is old roadbed. Below is an area which suffered a fire but is now recovering with new growth.



When the trail breaks into open meadows, you suddenly get expansive views of the mountains in the distance.

 


At least part of the trail is open range, so don't be startled if you encounter cattle, as seen below. All but the closest one scattered as I approached, and he seemed to take umbrage at my appearance and stared at me and gave indications of attacking me to protect his cows, but basically he just glared as I quickly and quietly bypassed him. I was beginning to calculate if I'd be able to pedal faster than he could run, but I'm glad I didn't have to find out!




This trail is maintained by the Pinetop-Lakeside Tracks Organization and here is their map of the trail.



No comments: