Monday, September 2, 2019

Biking Webster City, Iowa's Boone River Trail


I began at the southern end at Briggs Woods Park (2450 Briggs Woods Road) and ended at Nokomis Park. The trail took me mostly along the scenic river but also included forest, farmland, and prairies.






The 10 foot wide concrete trail weaves along the river, occasionally departing briefly and then returning. 





It often occupies flood plain, and the embankment along the side of the trail (seen below) is made of flood-caused dirt and mud which has bee plowed off the trail. As I biked, I saw crews using a  front-end loader to remove the recent mud.





New riprap rock was obvious in places, too, added as additional protection against the next floods.





Signs along the trail explained how large areas of the surrounding land are used for storm/flood water storage during flood conditions, and the plantings used are chosen to absorb flood waters without being destroyed by the flood waters.





I was passing through town on my way west and this trail provided a nice respite during a long driving day.




No comments: