Monday, June 15, 2009

Biking the DRT

Yesterday we biked 24 miles on my favorite section of the Des Plaines River Trail, north from Independence Grove to Wadsworth Road. The gorgeous 75 degree sunny day brought hundreds of bikers and walkers out, as well as six equestrians, dozens of boaters on the lake, and full picnic tables everywhere. We even saw a fellow on a unicycle burning up the trail at a fast speed, which was a first! I had hoped to see him again on the way back and get a photo, but no such luck.



One brief trail segment parallels railroad tracks, and we saw an Amtrak train and a freight train as we biked past. The engineer saw me taking his photo and waved and even gave me a double-toot.



Great to see so many people using their forest preserve areas, but I find biking during the week is far more solitary and relaxing, and you don't encounter any idiot bikers who speed past you without announcing their approach from behind -- one of whom nearly sideswiped me as he misjudged the turn we were on as he (unannounced) sped past.

No comments: