Monday, March 8, 2010

Poem #48: Wilderness Inspector



Wilderness Inspector


the card boldly blares.
Mostly whimsy,
part wishful thinking,
yet a germ of truth kernel runs through it,
that title atop the card.



Self-proclaimed, yes,

but bolstered by three score incursions
into fifty-plus wilderness areas
across dozens of states over several decades,
all escape attempts from civilization’s excesses,
quests for nature’s nurture,
many solitude searches
but some accompanied by fellow seekers.






What’s over that rise?
What’s around that bend?
Queries ever in mind,
and when answered
immediately replaced by
What’s around the next bend?
What’s over that next rise?




Footfalls chasing dreams

for dreams represent answersto questions yet unasked:
Do I posses midnight courage?
Can I track the immensity of the sky’s curve?
Dare I challenge that powerful Unspoken?
Can I relish unexpected challenges?
Conquer doubts and fears?
Exalt in serendipity?




The answers come,

ever amusing, bemusing, confusing,
through experiences that warm the cockles
and raise the hackles.
For ultimately,
the inspecting is not truly
of the wilderness,
but of the self.




1 comment:

~L said...

warming my cockles!

I linked to you in my post:

http://forwardmomentum-unstuck.blogspot.com/2010/03/kudos-shout-outs-and-awards-oh-my.html

cheers chuck!
L