Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Deer Grove Mountain Bike Trail

Today I gave Ellen the choice of where to bike from among the dozen or so trails I've taken her on this last month. Without hesitation, she announced "Deer Grove" and I was neither surprised nor disappointed by her decision, since these twin loops in Deer Grove and Deer Grove East are my favorite, too.

I find the recently groomed loop trail west of Quentin Road is too civilized now that they've removed the rocks and roots and ruts and laid down gravel, but obstacles still require your attention, because you never know what's around the next blind bend or over that next hill, as seen here...

... for you wouldn't want to hit a downed tree trunk at 15 mph. But the single track on the east side of Quentin Road is still my favorite, and Ellen's too as is obvious by the broad smile on her face.

The fallen leaves add another element requiring caution as the obscure trail snakes around and between trees, downed limbs, and tree stumps. (Hey, Greg, come on back to Chicago and I'll give you some great adventures off the water!)



Another wonderful 90 minute ride on another rare 63 degree November day in Chicago.

No comments: