Friday, November 30, 2007

Poem #22: Backpacking

Those who know me realize my passion for the outdoors and my love of exploring it. Backpacking is one of my primary modes for doing so. I've backpacked over 60 times in 50 different wilderness areas, and below are my thoughts of the process. (For photos and info on backpacking in general and the places I've backpacked in particular, go to Chuck's Backpacking Bonanza... and More.)
==============================================


Backpacking



Backpacking is Mother Nature’s laxative,
purging civilization’s discontentments and
jettisoning society’s cloying accouterments,
roughage for cleansing our psyche.

Backpacking simplifies existence,
relaxing Life’s pace,
opening eyes to mind and soul
and conferring intimacy to all that is observed.

A mountain climbed becomes a mountain earned
just as a burden conquered is a burden mastered.

Backpacking requires Time,
and taking Time elongates Life,
turns Life e l a s t i c and
s t r e t c h e s Life to meet the horizon--
or perhaps not meet it.

It matters not,
for that which is stretched
e x p a n d s
amplifies
proliferates
and understanding surges in to possess
the newfound space.

So backpack,
and grow as you go.

(copyright 2003 by Chuck Morlock)

No comments: