Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Oklahoma City National Memorial

On April 19, 1995, the worst "home-grown" American terrorist act occurred, the bombing of the Murrah Federal Building, killing 168 people, 19 of them children. In addition, over 700 were injured, including people in over 40 surrounding buildings. The purpose of the Oklahoma City National Memorial is summed up in these words found on the entrance to the Memorial: "We come here to remember those who were killed, those who survived and those changed forever. May all who leave here know the impact of violence. May this memorial offer comfort, strength, peace, hope and serenity." The two gates to the Memorial are called the 9:01 and the 9:03 Gates, the former marking a time of still-innocence, the latter marking the start of chaos and the end of innocence, and between the 2 gates lies the Memorial, honoring those killed and changed during the intervening minute of 9:02 am. The photo below shows the 9:03 gate in the distance, the reflecting pool, and on the left, the "Field of Empty Chairs" tribute to the dead.




Here's a close-up of the chairs. Each represents a victim. They are arranged in 9 rows, representing those killed on the 9 floors of the building, with the 5 western-most chairs representing the 5 killed outside the Murrah Building. each bronze and stone chair rests on a glass base, lighted at night, and etched with the victim's name. The field's perimeter is the footprint of the building and it is lined by a granite path made from granite slavaged from the debris. Particularly poignant are the 19 smaller chairs representing the children. (Click to enlarge photos.)





The "Survivor Tree" is a 90+ year old Elm that survived the blast and stands as a symbol of human resilience.





1 comment:

Goldenrod said...

On 9/11, I published "Where were you ... ..." and talked about where I was when certain events occurred. I did not include the Oklahoma City bombing.

I'm ashamed to admit that I do not remember exactly where I was or what I was doing when that occurred. I'm having trouble believing what I just wrote, but it's true.

Your beautifully poignant post reminds me a little of how I felt when I visited Shiloh years ago.

I imagine that you and Ellen felt a great sense of reverence as you visited. Thank you for allowing me to tour it with you.