Saturday, October 4, 2008

Bummer news from AOL

For 13 years, AOL has hosted my website, Chuck's Backpacking Bonanza, but they just announced they are getting out of the hosting business. Only about half my actual website data resides on AOL servers now because I long ago reached the maximum they allow. I have been uploading data the last few years onto my ComCast space, and more recently on my blog space, but that still leaves me with well over a hundred separate pages (all with numerous links to other pages on my site) as well as over 600 photos on AOL servers.

My options are to 1) discontinue the website and lose the 13 years of photos and info which now attract over 1500 visitors per month, or 2) revise 100+ pages with new links and then upload 700 files (100+ pages as well as 600 photos) individually, one at a time, to another server. I've tentatively begun the revision process, but that simply reinforces how much work the process would involve, so I'll see how it goes.

Meanwhile, as I work at the computer, Ellen is outside fertilizing the lawn following this morning's rain. For those who asked to see a photo of her house, here it it:



We leave Thursday for the long drive home. See y'all soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The switch from AOL should not be bad if you use a good ftp product and a HTML editor to find/replace your links. Make sure the host site you are going to isn't on the verge of going belly-up. Free and good have different definitions.