Friday, October 24, 2008

Chuck's new website

For 13 years, my backpacking site was on AOL and I was pleased with their service.

Earlier this month I fortuitously discovered that AOL planned to discontinue their hosting of websites at the end of October, and I posted this blog entry. I say "fortuitously" because they still have not notified me of this fact via email, and if I hadn't stumbled upon the fact, my site would simply have vaporized.

So I had to decide -- dump the website after 13 years of hard work, or engage in even more hard work to revise over half the pages and then transfer the 100+ pages and 700+ photos to a new host. My site was getting over 1000 visits per month, and many visitors thanked me for the info they found on my site. So I chose the to keep the site and move it, and after dozens of hours of work by me, and additional hours by Ellen checking to make sure all was working properly, today I finished the chore.

Over the last bunch of years, I expanded the site from just backpacking to include biking and paddling venues across the Chicago area as well as across the country, so I changed the name from Chuck's Backpacking Bonanza to Bike, Hike, and Paddle, and it currently features
So check it out sometime, and if you have bookmarked my old site, please replace the bookmark with the new one.

1 comment:

Goldenrod said...

Heavens, what a job that must have been, Chuck! I can almost picture you collapsing into a puddle on the floor when it was finally finished. Congratulations!!