Sunday, August 2, 2009

McHenry Prairie Trail Roller-coaster

Today we biked about 20 miles on the McHenry Prairie Trail's roller-coaster hill section through Sterne's Woods and Veteran's Acres in Crystal Lake. It's beautiful forest but you better concentrate on biking and not sight-seeing! (We often hike here in the winter and thus get to enjoy the entire forest more leisurely!)



It's a stretch about 2 miles long and I couldn't take photos on the steep downhills because I was steering and holding on tightly with both hands to negotiate the tight turns, and I couldn't take pictures on the steep uphills since I was pumping like mad to get up! Here's the middle segment under the power towers...



For those of you a bit older and familiar with Chicago before 1964, it's as much fun as Riverview Park -- and free! Here I've topped one of the taller hills and have a brief respite before the next turns and the downhill...


Go check it out for yourself. You'll love it, too!

No comments: