Thursday, October 8, 2009

Biking the Des Plaines River Trail

Yesterday I biked 22 miles on the DRT, curious to see if there had been much color change. Very little was in evidence, except for the landscaping trees planted at Independence Grove's Visitor Center...



Before the ride, I turned in my form for the Burnham Centennial 100-Mile Challenge and got my REI discount certificate. Yesterday's ride put me over 2100 miles for 2009, a good percentage of which have been on numerous Lake County Trails, though only 100 miles were needed for the Challenge.

I did notice that the announced construction of washrooms along the DRT just north of the Route 120 underpass is underway...



...which will be a nice addition since there is a lengthy distance north of Independence Grove without facilities (other than the innumerable trees.)

As I biked through Wadsworth Savanna near the railroad tracks, all alone in my thoughts and absorbed amidst Nature, an Amtrac train approached from behind me unheard since I was biking into a stiff wind, and just before passing me, it blasted its horn for an upcoming grade crossing. startling me so badly I nearly biked off the trail! Guess the solitude of the woods can be a dangerous thing!

No comments: