Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Sungha Jung, Prodigy Child Guitarist from South Korea

Sungha Jung was born South Korea on September 2, 1996, and his dream is to become a professional acoustic fingerstyle guitarist. I think he's well on his way! See if you agree...



Sungha watched his dad play the guitar for years before he "finally jumped on it myself three years ago." Imagine what a few more years will bring to him! Here he plays one of my favorite songs, "You Raise Me Up"...



He says, "I used to not have tabs for the music that I played in my videos. I just listen and pick them up directly from the sound source in videos available on the internet. However, recently, I have started playing with original tabs whenever they are available to me by courtesy of the authors. My old guitar is custom made by Selma to fit my body size, and on it, Thomas Leeb wrote "Keep on grooving to my friend.' "





He adds, "As of Jan. 1st, 2009, Lakewood acts as sponsor for my guitar officially. I'm very grateful to those prominent guitarists who have had a great influence on my guitar playing. I'll continue to study them and learn more about interpretation of music and various playing techniques. My daily practice routine lasts for one to two hours when school is open, but I play up to three hours a day during the school breaks."




"It usually takes me two to three days to practice and videotape a new piece but sometimes up to a week for more difficult ones."

Here he plays the classical piece, "Canon in D"..





Sungha is also taking drum lessons and has even composed two pieces, "Missing You" and "Voyages with Ulli." His official website is here.

No comments: