Friday, October 2, 2009

Save your Fork!

The 90 year old woman’s health was failing her, but she was still in command of her faculties when her doctor said, “I’m sorry, but I don’t think you’ll live much longer.”

She responded with a knowing smile, a simple nod, and a pleasant, “I understand.”

After the doctor had gone, she summoned her family and announced, “I think it’s time to discuss my funeral arrangements.”

They talked about what songs would be included in the service, who would speak, where she would be buried, and what kind of casket should be used. Then she remarked, "There is one additional request that's very important to me.”

They stood quietly as she took a deep breath and their faces showed puzzlement as she continued, “I want to be buried with a fork in my right hand."

Understandably confused by her last request, her oldest son queried, "Mom, what did you say?"

She repeated softly, “I want you to tell the undertaker that I want to be buried with a fork in my hand.”

Their perplexed expressions turned to smiles as she added, "At suppers when I was a young girl, all of us kids would help mom by clearing away the dishes and silverware, and mom would always smile and say, 'Remember to save your fork!'”

“All us kids knew what that meant! It meant that mom had fixed us a pie or a cake or homemade ice cream for dessert. When she said 'Everyone save your fork!' that meant the best was yet to come. So I want to be buried with a fork in my right hand, because I know that since my time on earth is nearly up, the best is yet to come!"

So, everyone -- Save your fork! No matter what this life has given you, the best IS yet to come!

1 comment:

GREG PFLUG said...

great news! Elderhostel is now "Exploritas" and they have gotten rid of all age restrictions. Dude this means I can sign up on trips with you all. Sweeeeeet.