Saturday, May 17, 2008

Random Facts #13

1. In the 1400's a law was set forth in England that a man was allowed to beat his wife with a stick no thicker than his thumb. Hence we have "the rule of thumb"

2. Many years ago in Scotland, a new game was invented. It was ruled "Gentlemen Only... Ladies Forbidden"...and thus the word GOLF entered into the English language.

3. The first couple to be shown in bed together on prime time TV were Fred and Wilma Flintstone.

4. Every day more money is printed for Monopoly than the U.S. Treasury.

5. Men can read smaller print than women can; women can hear better.

6. Coca-Cola was originally green.

7. It is impossible to lick your elbow.

8. The State with the highest percentage of people who walk to work is Alaska.

9. The percentage of Africa that is wilderness is 28%.

10. The percentage of North America that is wilderness is 38%.

1 comment:

Goldenrod said...

Hi! LOVE your "#13" ... are there really twelve others?? I'll have to look them up. I find stuff like that quite fascinating, and I often go off into memoryland from any one little tidbit.

Your post on canoeing made me wonder if you might like to read a couple of my posts on that subject? (Really not trying to toot my own horn here, just thought you might be interested. My posts include NO pictures ... just a lot of narrative. I tend to ramble on and on.) First husband and I took three different canoe trips together -- two in Superior/Quetico, and one in Algonquin (both in Ontario). I am not big on large group outings, as you and your wife seem to be. Guess I'm more of a loner, but now that I'm in my 70's, that will have to change, won't it?

OK. I've looked them up. My blog site is located at goldenrodsthoughts.blogspot.com. The ones I thought you might be interested in reading are listed in the Archives under "Memories". Scroll down until you're just past "Canoeing ... (part one) ...". I recommend that you begin there and then scroll upwards through part three. Those three were all published in March.

You might have noticed, in your scroll downwards, same Archived section, "Presbytery Point", published April 7th. I point this out to you because of your background in the church and music. You might get a kick out of this one, as well.

Chuck, your site has been listed as one of my Favorites for some time now, but I think this is the first time I've left a comment.

I would like to add that I VERY much enjoy your poems and quotations. I find them meaningful, personally.