Sunday, July 6, 2008

Egrets and Heron

There is a seasonal lake in Singing Hills Forest Preserve directly behind our place, and this year the plentiful rains have kept it filled longer than ever. Now it is drying out, and the great white egrets and great blue heron have found that its shallower depths provide abundant frogs and insects. Each day the crowd has grown out back, and today I counted over 40 egrets and a dozen heron, some of which can be seen here (click to enlarge)...




Using the 300mm zoom on my Nikon D80, I got this closeup...



This may not seem like a big deal to those of you from more southern climes, but I've only seen larger flocks of these wading birds while in Florida. It is rare indeed to see such a large congregation in this area (maybe because it's Sunday?)

2 comments:

Goldenrod said...

I clicked on that 1st picture. Neat! My daughter has become really interested in photography the past very few years, and every once in a while she'll post one of hers on her site, which is usually political ... UGH!

Goldenrod said...

Thought I should clarify my "UGH". I didn't mean that her pictures were 'ugh'. I meant that, as a general rule, I haven't the slightest desire to read about, get into discussions about, or even THINK about politics! Politics is the ugh, not her photographs. Her photographs are WONderful!