Wednesday, July 30, 2008

McHenry Prairie Trail biking

We beat today's 90 degree heat by biking 21 miles on this mostly tree-shaded trail. Obviously, this section of trail is not shaded but had a bench for a water stop...



One area had a work crew laying asphalt for a new driveway, which we had to bike over. The heat radiating from the new material was overwhelming! What a job to have on a hot day!

Another reason we chose this trail segment was its proximity to a Boston Market restaurant in Crystal Lake near our trailhead. Unfortunately, the Boston Markets in our area have both closed, so we have to get our occasional "fixes" while in other communities.

Today's ride set a new personal record for me. I've been tracking biking mileage for 10 years, and only once did I surpass 400 miles for a month (back in 2004), but today's ride put me above that mileage with still tomorrow to exceed it farther! And I'm only 80 miles from my personal best mileage for a whole year (1732 miles in 2005) with many months yet to go, so I should be able to far surpass that old record.

1 comment:

Goldenrod said...

Oh, oh! There had to have been a moment or two there of near panic when you discovered that Boston Market was closed. :)