Saturday, November 15, 2008

Sightings from My Deck

My place backs up to Singing Hills Forest Preserve. The actual "forest" of this preserve is a half mile away and a bit to the north, but the view from my deck extends over a mile to the west overlooking the rolling hills of the preserve. Below are a few sightings I've had from the deck. The first photo shows one of the numerous hot air balloon flights I've seen...



... and today Ellen spotted this Cooper's Hawk perched atop my bird feeders. (Notice that all the other birds have temporarily left the feeders!)



He patiently posed to allow me an opportunity to get my camera and attach the 300mm zoom lens, and then after I had snapped a few pictures, he took off after some breakfast he spotted in the tall reeds of the wetlands...



... and last summer I watched a momma bird feed her young on my railing, flying off, getting another morsel, and returning to many open mouths, into one of which she placed the meal...



No comments: