Saturday, January 3, 2009

Bushwacking, but not Bushwacked

Our townhouse development now abuts Singing Hills Forest Preserve, thanks to several recent purchases to expand the preserve. Today I again bushwacked from my place across the prairie and through the forest over to the loop trail I roughed out 3 years ago.


As I trudged through the remaining snow, shotgun blasts echoed all around me. My immediate impulse turned me toward the sounds to investigate, because shooting is not allowed on forest preserve property. But after a dozen steps, as I neared the meadow, I stopped, realizing I had no bright clothing on, and I might be mistaken for a critter or hit by an errant shell. The lands recently purchased had for years been signed as a "licensed hunting preserve" and the signs still hang on trees in the area, though hunting is no longer permitted because it is now preserved land. But putting myself in the position of possibly getting shot while alone in the woods is not intelligent behavior, so I retreated out the far side of the woods and returned via home the Millennium Trail.

As I hiked the Millennium Trail, our local Coopers hawk was circling overhead, searching for lunch. What a magnificent creature! (I sure hope the hunters weren't aiming for him!)

1 comment:

Goldenrod said...

Ooh! Sure enuf, shotgun pellets would bring a beautiful creature like that down. Did you report the hunters? Hope so! Glad you weren't hurt.