Saturday, June 23, 2007

Birds of a feather...

Six baby birds appeared on my deck rail today -- just sitting there, waiting patiently as momma left, found food, and flew back to feed each young'un. Each time she returned, their little wings began beating the air and their mouths popped wide open in gleeful anticipation of a morsel.





This youngster below received a full-grown dragon fly which was apparently much too large for it to handle as he eventually dropped it and flew off, leaving the half-dead lunch slowly and ineffectually beating its wings on the deck rail.



When I looked out a few minutes later, it was gone -- whether it recovered and flew off or was consumed by another bird, I don't know. I can't help but hope it flew off and will continue to eat mosquitoes for us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an adventure and you didn't even have to go out for it! Great shots. Sorry I was not there to see it.
Ellen