Thursday, December 25, 2008

Gary Larson Galore!

Ellen gave me The Complete Far Side, a bound-and boxed two volume compendium of all 4337 cartoons from Gary Larson's famous comic strip, replete with a foreword by Steve Martin, an intro by his longtime editor, a preface by Gary, and production notes.





It will take me quite a while to peruse the 1200+ pages of his work, but I began with the intro info and have to agree with the following phrases I encountered there: "subversively exhilarating," "hilarious abnormality," "bizarre genius," and "riotous upheaval" to quote a few.

Gary writes at the end of his Preface: "My drafting table...faced a window that overlooked a beautiful garden; beyond the garden was a lake, and beyond the lake Mount Rainier rose majestically into the Washington sky. I worked at night."

1 comment:

Goldenrod said...

Just make sure that Ellen provides you with enuf Christmas cookies to tide you over until you can get up from your chair again to eat something 'real' and you're good to go, right?