Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My New Year's Resolutions

The tradition of New Year's Resolutions goes back to 153 B.C. The Romans named the first month of the year after the mythical king Janus (January), the god of beginnings and the guardian of doors and entrances. He was always depicted with two faces, one on the front of his head and one on the back, allowing him to peer backward and forward at the same time. Hence, Janus became the ancient symbol for resolutions.

Though I have never put stock in proclaiming what too often are merely temporary personal improvements, I relent now and begin 2009 with these lofty aspirations:


Obey signs which give specific directions:



Make renewed efforts to attain towering heights:


Eat healthier:


Take a cruise:


Exercise regularly:


Respond to those ubiquitous emails which promise to provide physical enhancements:


Take singing lessons:



Study carpentry and then make those needed home improvements:


Lose weight:


Take up a sport:


Learn more about global warming:




Learn to relax more:


Enhance my computer skills:


Make time for naps wherever I am:




Travel to foreign countries:




Learn to follow directions better:



Have more respect for our national politicians:

1 comment:

Goldenrod said...

Hilarious, Chuck! I'm definitely going to have to link it. Let me buzz on over and see what's going on with Ellen. Clipping KC bird.

Have a great evening, you two!

Looks like my 400th post will be tomorrow. Nothing special other than it will occur on New Year's Day - kind of fitting, I guess. Will be linking yours as part of a short bits and pieces type thing I'll be posting within the next hour or so. Then, hopefully, later will schedule "The Dash" which I first posted in May, I think. (I say 'hopefully', cuz I'm not sure it is still available!) Thought it would be appropriate for New Year's Eve.

Just checked. It IS, hooray! That'll be my 399th. :)