Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Worthy Quotes #16

Profanity makes ignorance audible.
-- Jack Mabley

Tell a child what to think, and you make him a slave to your knowledge. Teach a child to think, and you make all knowledge his slave.
-- Tait

Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful.
-- Buddhist Udanavarga

Children become literate through association with literate people.
-- Anonymous

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.
-- James B. Conant

Education is not the filling of pail, but the lighting of a fire.
-- William Butler Yeats

What I hear, I forget. What I see, I remember. What I do, I understand.
-- Confucious

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
-- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

One had better die fighting against injustice than die like a dog or a rat in a trap.
-- Ida B. Wells

To see what is right and not do it is want of courage or of principle.
-- Confucius

1 comment:

Goldenrod said...

I especially like that first one, Chuck.

I'm glad you read more about Ida B. - that was a good quote, except I didn't see a way to include it in my post. You found the perfect venue for it!